August 15, 2011

Repurposing Rocks!

Well, after some not-so subtle hinting that I was making things for everyone else but not for him, I finally whipped up SSGT's computer bag. I am pretty sure I put it off because he wanted me to use his old uniforms as the fabric (hello, obsess with ACU much?) and I totally didn't want to deal with taking out seams. But, I figured for this project I'd not worry about saving every scrap of fabric I could, and just find a patch big enough for my needs. And I did, though it took two uniform tops, and the main pocket of a pair of pants to do it! I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and I love that I didn't have to sew a pocket. It came together SO fast, and the most challenging part was the zipper (isn't it always?!), though even that was my best zipper installation ever! While it ended up fitting his laptop, it is pretty snug, so when he gets a new laptop I'm going to make sure it is small enough to fit perfectly (so as to avoid having to find another set of uniforms in good enough shape to save fabric from!).

So, again, the pattern was Sew Spoiled Laptop Sleeve, and the fabric was government issued uniforms (I hope I'm not setting myself up for some federal lawsuit about destruction of government property).

No comments: